Tourism is an ever growing industry.
What benefits do you think tourism brings to individuals and society?
As tourism continuously engulfs most corners of the globe, many people viewed it as a viable industry due to its veritable potential as a prime economic driving force of local communities. In this essay, I will highlight the positive contributions of this industry to people and in society.
Employment is perhaps the easiest advantages that will come to mind in identifying the bright side of tourism to the people. Tourism provides decent livelihood to the people engaged in. Tour guides for instance, locals mostly the preferred tour guides among tourist as they are well-versed, often has a deep insight of the place and if there is need to speak local language to natives. Tourism definitely create jobs; souvenir shops, food vendors and retailers will naturally spring up within tourist sites as they are aware that visitors needs their services. In addition to employment, it can be a source of pride for the local people and allows them to look at their cultural heritage and develop their own community identity. This can help to preserve the local heritage sites of a region that may be at risk of being disappeared.
Obviously, the economic significance of tourism has proven as one of the most effective means of providing significant financial fluxes to host communities. Firstly, tourist spent dollars for the human basic requirements such as food, accommodation and transport services along with entertainment and amusement. Secondly, dollars earned by both businesses and individuals is often circulated into local economy and has a great multiplier effect as it spent over and over again. This sector contributes to not only wealth creation, but also can induce the local government to make infrastructure improvements to increases access to essential services namely water, sewage system, telecommunications and transport. This can improve the quality of life for residents as well as facilitate tourism.
In conclusion, the benefits of tourism being highlighted above has no doubt beneficial to local people and the society. However, travelers need to remember the importance of being a sustainable tourist, sustainable in the sense that environment is not destructed.
- Engulf – is a verb that means being completely surrounded, soaked, or covered.
- Viable – able to work as intended or able to succeed:
- Veritable – is a word that means real or genuine.
- Decent – someone or something that is respectable, modest, proper, or fair and kind.
- Insight – being able to see or understand something clearly, often sensed using intuition.
- Heritage – something that is handed down from the past, as a tradition.
- Flux – a flowing or flow.
- Induce – to persuade someone to do something.
- Sustainable – is something that can be continued or a practice that maintains a condition without harming the environment.