Success is often measured by wealth and material belongings.
Do you think wealth is the best measure for success? What makes a successful person?
Modern society today typically measured success by the amount of money and the material possessions someone acquired. Some people assumed that having plenty of money and owning expensive luxury items are the barometer of success. In the surface this might be true but from my personal standpoint, true metrics of success are happiness and peace of mind.
For most people these days they judge wealthy individuals as successful persons because they posses excessive amount of money. People have been conditioned to believe that money or impressive job title are the real markers of success. However, success might not be directly link with how fancy someone’s house or how expensive the cars they drive. Many affluent and famous individuals that accumulated a vast fortune but still they feel sad and lonely. In the past, there were many Millionaires committed suicide, in spite of their wealth and prosperity. Hence, in my opinion, wealth is not the best metric for measuring individual’s success .
Meanwhile, achieving success is not simply a matter of luck, it involves many sacrifices. Successful people have certain ingredients they combined in a specific way to get distinct result such as anticipation and determination. Realistically, everyone has a dreams for a brighter future and those who become successful understand that procrastination builds a barrier in achieving their goals. Investing is one great example, when people putting off plans in investing as early as possible may lose the advantages of time. By investing early, someone anticipated growth and may be able to take advantage of the magic of compounding. Another notable example is that successful people are determined. Determination is an essential trait in achieving something. People must be passionate and motivated to keep moving forward, despite all of the hurdles blocking the pathway to success.
In summary, success of a person appears to have no direct correlation with money or wealth. The metric use to measure someones’ success seems different yardstick to different people. In my view, happiness and peace of mind are the best gauge of success and not wealth. Because wealth is endless and people always wanting for more.
When it comes to IELTS Test, vocabulary is one of the most important skills a test-taker must have. In writing section, having a good grasp of English vocabulary will help you frame and convey your ideas in words using an effective and varied vocabulary.
- Possession – something that you own, or the condition of owning something.
- Acquire – to get or buy something.
- Barometer – something that can show how a particular situation is developing.
- Excessive – beyond what is typical or normal.
- Impressive – having the power to excite attention, awe, or admiration.
- affluent – having a lot of money or possessions.
- Accumulate – past participle (accumulated) – to increase gradually in quantity or number.
- Vast – very great in size, extent, amount, number, degree, etc
- Fortune – a very large amount of money or property.
- Prosperity – a successful, flourishing, or thriving condition, especially in financial respects.
- Distinct – not alike; different.
- Anticipation – the act of preparing for something.
- Determination – the process of controlling, influencing, or deciding something.
- Procrastination – to keep delaying something that must be done, often because it is unpleasant or boring.
- Barrier – anything built or serving to bar passage, as a railing, fence, or the like.
- Anticipate – past participle (anticipated) to imagine or expect that something will happen.
- Compounding – the process in which an asset’s earnings, from either capital gains or interest, are reinvested to generate additional earnings.
- Correlation – a mutual relationship or connection between two or more things.
Read speaking sample questions with answers
- IELTS speaking sample questions with answers: Health
- IELTS Speaking sample questions with answers: Hometown
- IELTS Speaking Sample Questions with Answers: Sunglasses
Read more essay
- Some people think that they can be fit by going to gym, while others think that there are other better way to remain fit
- In many countries, the tradition of having family meals together is disappearing
- Some people think that the news media nowadays have influenced people’s lives in negative ways