IELTS Essay Question:
People spend too much on family celebrations such as birthdays and weddings.
- What are the importance of these celebrations?
- Do you think people really spend too much?
- Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Family occasions such as weddings and birthdays are important events of human’s social life. These trends, however, are becoming increasingly too commercialise and getting more and more a burdened to celebrants. This essay seeks to sheds light about the importance behind these occasions and explain why I believe that the money spent for these occasions are not guaranteed to yield good result.
In the past, lavish expenditure on any celebrations were preserve of the high social status in society, but lately it become common for lower classes. Spending luxuriously on those events are a great way to flaunt a happy episode of life. For example, when prominent individuals get-married, they tend to marry in an extravagant manner. Occasions like wedding is an important events in life as a union ceremony of a man and a woman that only happens once in a lifetime. Thus, it deserves to have such a grandeur as it is attended by relatives and friends.
On the other hand, spending excessive amounts of money in that one day event pose to have a negative ramifications. An occasion such as wedding certainly a couple’s most wonderful time of their life, but the financial consequences will be felt for years. One consequence is that the couple will face financial setbacks in the future, and this is a cause for divorce. The walk down the aisle should not mean falling into debt. Furthermore, during preparation period, there is a possibility that the cost will exceed from the initial budget and this will lead to conflict. Hence, a lavish celebrations will only increase the financial burden of the celebrants.
To sum up, celebrating milestones and other life important events are a key to socialise and meet family members and friends. However, when all of the above consequences are taken into account, throwing opulent celebrations may not necessarily a good long-term investment.
Read speaking sample questions with answers
- IELTS speaking sample questions with answers: Health
- IELTS Speaking sample questions with answers: Hometown
- IELTS Speaking Sample Questions with Answers: Sunglasses
Read more essay
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of online studying
- In many countries today people are choosing to have fewer children
- Some people advocate death penalty for those who committed violent crimes