IELTS Essay Topic: Basic Income
The governments should give each citizen a basic income so that they have enough money to live on, whether they are employed or unemployed. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Many countries today are extending financial aid to its people regardless of employment situation to ensure everyone can sustain comfortable living. This concept is a welcome development to guarantee that no one falls living below subsistence level, but I slightly disagree with this idea. The first part of this paper highlights the positive side of the argument and provides opposite viewpoint in the second body paragraph.
In major high-income economies, governments implemented a policy that provide regular cash grant to its citizen to improve financial stability. They believe that by providing basic income to everyone, the government is doing their job to alleviate poverty. For example, having a regular cash payment means people can afford to buy food, clothes and medicine. It can support people improve their well-being and reduce anxiety levels. Another example is income inequality, wide income disparities within societies means more people can hardly escape poverty. The minimum income provided by governments can give strong support to its citizens in facing any unfavorable vicissitudes of life.
Despite the fact that basic income provided by the governments can address social ills in the society, many still believe that there are economic costs behind this program. One of the major concern is that people will become increasingly dependent in the monthly aid. If people are guaranteed to receive monthly grants, many of them will refuse to do awful jobs. This could leads to labour shortages. However, some advocates of basic income strongly assume that the money extended by the government is a great antidote to the widespread poverty and inequality in society.
In conclusion, governments financial support to its citizen is a positive response against poverty. The money can create a huge difference in life of the bottom group in the society. But the governments should understand and look both pros and cons to know the negative outcome on the economy.
When it comes to IELTS Test, vocabulary is one of the most important skills a test-taker must have. In writing section, having a good grasp of English vocabulary will help you frame and convey your ideas in words using an effective and varied vocabulary.
Read IELTS speaking sample questions with answers
- IELTS speaking sample questions with answers: Health
- IELTS Speaking sample questions with answers: Hometown
- IELTS Speaking Sample Questions with Answers: Sunglasses
- Describe a book you have recently read
Read more IELTS essay
- Health education is an essential aspect of community health
- Governments should be responsible for funding and controlling scientific research rather than private organizations
- Some people believe that money is more important than free time for a good quality of life
- Nowadays many people prefer to buy famous brands of clothes, cars and other items
- Some people get into debt by buying things they do not need and can not afford